Company Officers Section
Whether you're a new, experienced or aspiring company officer, make the IAFC your top-of-mind resource for leadership skills training, knowledge resources, and connecting with other leaders. We're here to support you!
First Official Section Meeting Held at FRI 2016
We held our first section meeting on August 18 at Fire-Rescue International in San Antonio, Tx. Thanks to those section members who were able to attend. We're excited for a great year ahead for company officers in the IAFC!
View meeting minutes (pdf)
View pictures of the meeting on our Facebook page
To provide information, education, services and representation to company officers to enhance their professionalism and service to community.
How to Join
- IAFC members of all ranks are welcome to join the section. You can add the section when you renew your IAFC membership. Section dues are $25 annually. If you wish to join the section now, contact email@example.com.
- Not an IAFC member? Join today!
Professional Development Resources
Company Officer Podcast Series
- 10 Commandments of an Effective Company Officer (expanded time) - Members of the IAFC and COS discuss this topic highlighted in a 2016 article by Deputy Chief Steve Prziborowsk (Santa Clara County, Ca.)
- The Benefits of Credentialing for the Company Officer (mp3) - Chief Reggie Freeman (Lockheed Martin Aeronautics FD - Fort Worth, Tx.) discusses how credentialing will help ensure that the 21st century company officer has the requisite skill set to successfully lead at both the company and organizational levels.
- The Role of the Company Officer in Creating a Culture of Safety (mp3) - With a career that spans 45 years, Dr. Burt Clark (Mount Airy, Md.) shares his thoughts on the concepts of culture, safety and being proactive in the area of community risk reduction.
Articles by IAFC company officer members
Big Data and Medical Hotspotting to Enhance Community Health and Prosperity - by Captain Demond Simmons
All-Hazards Planning: Team Approach - by Battalion Chief Jonathan Messick
Advantages of Diversity and Inclusiveness - by Captain Mary Emge
Company Officers in 2015 and Beyond - by Lieutenant Randy Hanifen
The Fire Prevention Week Revival - by Captain Mary Emge
Any Call Any Time - by Captain Joe Bradley
Regional Collaboration (pdf) - by Lieutenant Randall Hanifen
Principles of Effective Organizational Structures - by Lieutenant Chris Divver
Building Equity at the Kitchen Table - by Lieutenant Chris Divver
Relevant to the Community - by Captain Mike Jaffa
Avoiding Complacency in Your Leadership Role - by Captain Jonathan Messick
Saving Firefighters from Themselves - by Captain Demond Simmons
Company Officer Mentor Program - IAFC company officer members, choose a chief officer or company officer as a mentor and start learning from an expert who wants to share and help you grow.
Company Officer Leadership Symposium (COLS) - an intense, 3-day program providing company officers with valuable skills and knowledge required to stay ahead and grow as a leader. Graduating from the program demonstrates exceptional professional growth for promotional assessments. The next COLS session will be held at Fire-Rescue International 2017 in Charlotte, NC. IAFC members save up to $100 on registration.
IAFC Officer Development Handbook - a great resource for present and future leaders, this handbook has over 60 pages of valuable information and recommendations for career advancement with an emphasis on leadership competencies through all four levels of officer development. All COLS attendees will receive an email with a link to download the handbook.
KnowledgeNet discussion forums - IAFC's members-only, peer-to-peer online community. Join a discussion, look up a resource or post on a blog.
Create job alerts to ensure new jobs that match your search criteria are emailed directly to you.
Go to all career postings >