Whether you're looking to enhance your knowledge or learn about current trends in fire and emergency service leadership, the expansive FRI program has it all.
Only the IAFC provides specific leadership programs for company officers, chief officers, new fire chiefs and veteran chiefs. FRI education is divided into tracks to help you quickly and easily find the sessions that interest you and meet your specific needs. From emerging topics to operations, the FRI program covers the wide spectrum of topics that affect today's leaders.
FRI Core Education Program
Sessions are broken into 9 different tracks including: Administration & Human Relations, All-Hazards Management, Community Risk Reduction, Emergency Medical Services, Emerging Trends & Topics, Leadership,Operations,Safety, Health & Welness, and Wicked Problems. Featured sessions will include:
- The Opioid Epidemic: Considerations for Fire Rescue
- Through the Smoke: What is Killing Us Now and Later
- Making the Change: An Evidence-Backed Model for Culture Change
- Ballistic Vests - Do We or Don’t We?
- Coaching the Development of Fire Service Leaders
- Blueprint for Success - Building a Strong Volunteer and Combination Department
- Best Practices win the Recruitment of Highly Qualified Entry-Level Firefighters from a Diverse Community
Check back soon for the complete education program.
Chief's Edge 2016
Experienced chiefs, get more out of FRI with this cohort style program, Chief’s Edge. This is an advanced course for chiefs looking to problem solve and engage with colleagues in a small-group format.
This interactive course is facilitated by experienced fire chiefs who work with participants to problem solve issues in a confidential setting. Together through open dialogue, participants work through real-world problems and learn valuable skills for navigating difficult leadership challenges.
Bundle Chief's Edge with your FRI registration for additional savings.
Officer Development Program (ODP)
The Officer Development Program includes three levels of company officer training, two levels of chief officer education and two levels of executive chief officer development. The IAFC was the first to put together such a comprehensive education plan and it's the only plan that meets specific NFPA standards.
- Company Officer Leadership Symposium
- Chief Officer Leadership Symposium
- Executive Chief Officer Leadership
Continuing Education & Certification
FRI courses meet the continuing education credits for most state requirements. In addition, FRI courses are approved for those seeking senior-level professional designations through CPSE, such as:
- Chief Fire Officer (CFO)
- Chief EMS Officer (CEMSO)
- Chief Training Officer (CTO)
- Fire Marshal (FM)
- Fire Officer (FO)
FRI Has Something For You
I look forward to FRI every year because it really provides a variety of career development sessions for virtually all ranks and positions in the fire service - especially the Chief Officer and the Company Officer ranks. If you have any aspirations of getting promoted in the fire service or just being the best fire officer you can be, FRI has something for you.
– Steve Prziborowski, Deputy Chief, Santa Clara County (CA) Fire Department